Mind and Body


Yesterday in my healthcare class we learned about Dr. Herbert Benson, a doctor in boston who studies and promotes "mind and body" healing. The basic thinking in this is that in order for your body to be healthy, your mind must be healthy too. He noticed that patients with hypertension had higher blood pressure for their appointments, because they were nervous or stressed about it. Thus, he uses various ways to relax his patients in order for them to live healthier life-styles. You can learn about the Benson-Henry Institute HERE

This whole idea about having a healthy attitude is SO important for people with CF and all other chronic illnesses. I know for a fact that the reason I do so well is because I truly believe that I WILL get better with every bout of illness, I never let it depress me.

I notice that when I'm stressed or depressed about anything (CF-related or not) it exacerbates my symptoms. Even something as simple as performing in front of an audience or waiting in line for a scary roller coaster sends me in a spasm of coughing from my nerves and stress. But when I'm positive, and when I think healthily I physically FEEL better. I can't help but notice that when I'm with my friends laughing and enjoying their company I rarely ever cough. I feel better when I'm surrounded by happiness and positive vibes.

I know it's a lot to say "just be positive" when you feel like crap, no one understands, and you feel like your life is spinning out of control. Some may find in order to begin thinking positively they have to treat a more serious issue of depression. In these cases, it's important to talk to someone professional to treat that condition. In our class, we talked about how the majority of people in nursing homes are depressed and that is why it is so hard for them to get better. Therefore, they must treat their depression because it is just as much a problem as their physical disabilities and illness.

For those small moments of weakness though, it's important, throughout all the pain, to take some time to clear your mind and relax. There are all sorts of ways to relax whether it is yoga, running, meditation, drawing, writing, or painting. Take some time in your day to do something like this. Once your body is relaxed it is easier to think positively about your illness. I know after I run I feel like I can conquer the world. It calms me down while, at the same time, making my lungs stronger.

So don't forget that CF care isn't just taking your medicine and going to the doctor, you have to take some time to heal your MIND too. It is just as delicate as your lungs.