I never thought I would run into someone in my life who would have the audacity to take CF and use it as a joke, as an insult, as a personal attack. But unfortunately I did. It began with a comment months ago about my CF that was SO rude and insulting and over-the-top that I can't even repeat it. Trust me, if I repeated it, every one reading this would be OUTRAGED. It made my boyfriend FUME. Although the vulnerable part of me wanted to cry, the better part of me told me to swallow my tears and never let a negative word get in the way of my positivity. After apologies were made, I thought the comments were over. Until facebook brought about some more inappropriate attacks. I was hurt at first, then angry, then the strong person inside of me told me to ignore it, to not let it bother me... but the truth is... it did at first. Though, the comment itself brought about some memories of the rude things said by the sister of this girl months ago, it didn't bother me as much as the fact that this person could be so disrespectful did. So I used this opportunity to teach that person that ignorance, immaturity, and disrespect will get you no where in life. And like my nana and papa used to say I "Killed em with kindness."
With the support of my amazing boyfriend, I spoke up to this person. I told her that I didn't appreciate her using something that I have suffered with, worried about, and that has drastically changed the way I live my life as a means to offend me. I told her that it hurts. I told her that being disrespectful and ignorant won't get her far in life and that she has no right to joke about CF when she doesn't know what its like to live with it. I told her that I would NEVER wish this disease on any one, and that I wouldn't even WANT her to know what its like. And then I did the hardest thing for me to do, after being so angry since I saw the comment, after swearing I would never respect her, after letting it consume my mind, after being so annoyed with the fact that she has NO IDEA what its like... I forgave her. I told her that I've made mistakes in my life and I admitted to them, and I hoped that the people I've hurt would forgive me. I told her that I hope she will have some respect next time, before she hurts someone else. Though I don't think I will ever call this person my friend, I hope she was able to learn something from me. I hope that next time she thinks about saying something so unfathomably rude and hurtful, she will put herself in that person's shoes and realize how much words can hurt. Though I forgave her, I don't think I will ever forget how hurtful her words were, but I won't let them ruin my day. I am too busy enjoying my life to let ignorant people get to me.