For the last year and a half my FEV1 has been hovering in the 80s. Although an FEV1 of 80 is very good by most standards, I was used to PFTs in the 90s, even in the 100's when I was younger. Knowing that CF is a progressive disease, any decline can be alarming, whether it is a slow but sure one or a quick and obvious one. I was beginning to accept that I'm going to be 20 in a couple months, I have cepacia, and maybe I'm finally seeing CF progress beyond my control. I have been fully accepting of that truth, and I don't ever think that my CF is any different than someone else's. There are some factors (like compliance and exercise) that ARE in my control, but there are others (like cepacia) that aren't. So I was happy with 80.
But then I had PFT's this week. For the first time in a year and a half my FEV1 hit 90! (This is excluding my prednizone PFTs that made my numbers insane last month). This made me realize a few things:
1) Just because it seemed like I had reached a point of no return, it has been possible for me to bounce back. I didn't stop taking care of myself just because I thought I couldn't get my lungs back to a VERY good baseline, I kept doing everything I was supposed to. You should never give up just because you think something has become impossible.
2) I had been close to needing a clean-out just a month ago. With oral antibiotics, prednizone, allergy medicine, and rest I was able to get healthy again. It's amazing how great CF care is these days, especially at Children's Hospital Boston, where I am lucky enough to go to clinic. Because of all the donations to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, research has come so far to make new treatments that better control CF. I am so thankful for the research they has been able to provide and for all the new medicines and treatments being made available. And I can't forget about my great doctor! He never fails to know what will help me.
3) My nurse asked me what I had been doing. And I said EXERCISE. She asked, “What does that tell you?” There you have it: Exercise helps. Period. Even though it has become difficult to find the time to exercise now that I'm working, I manage to squeeze in as much as I can early before work. Every little bit helps.
4) Stress can truly affect my health. One of the reasons I was feeling so crummy last month was because I was smack dab in the middle of finals. Right now, it's summer and I'm completely stress free. Mind-health can really affect body health, so I need to try to remain calm in order to remain healthy. This is a good indication that my life is happy and enjoyable right now :)
5) Birthdays, holidays, and good grades aren't the only things to be celebrated. I put my PFT's on my fridge!! My good numbers were good news to tell all the people I love. We can't forget to celebrate the little accomplishments too!
This isn't just about PFTs though. Its about pushing toward your goals even if it seemed impossible a long time ago. It's about appreciating the resources you have available, staying upbeat and positive, and celebrating each little step along the way. Nothing is Impossible.