Mama Monday: A Mother's Greatest Joy

    And now a guest post from the person who has made me the person I am today, My Mother. I will have her make guest appearances from time to time, because my attitude wouldn't be the way it is without her guidance. ENJOY!

So Lauren asked me to write something for her blog. “What about”, I asked. “Whatever you want Mom”, was her answer. She mentioned this a few weeks ago. Last week she gave me a deadline (pushy little thing) of Monday. Today is Saturday……so the pressure is on!! So here goes! First a little background info.

My name is Lee. I am Lauren’s Mom. I am a wife, mother and nurse. I am 54 years old, married to John, my high school sweetheart, for 29 years. John is a quiet, gentle man who has stood by me every step of the way. He has shared my “scariest middle of the night fears” when Lauren was first diagnosed and whenever she got really sick. He was “Mr. Mom” caring for Lauren when she was little as he worked 2nd and 3rd shifts while I worked days. She loved having Dad all to herself and they played all day. He would work her treatments in throughout the day and made them fun. He is fiercely proud and celebrates every one of our kids’ accomplishments from the day they were born. He is also a great gardener and cook! Dan is our oldest son age 25. He is also a nurse. He is a kind, caring adventuresome soul. Some of Lauren’s greatest joys are skiing with her brothers. Dan is engaged to the love of his life, Lauren Russo, also a nurse. She is beautiful, thoughtful and makes the best brownies in town! She is like a sister to Lauren and has been a part of our family for almost 10 years and we love her dearly. David is next, age 23. Dave is a sensitive , caring young man. He is an electrical engineer and is a clone of his Dad. Dave is also very close to Lauren and she loves it when he is home and they just hangout and be goofy. He is very athletic and skis with Lauren too. He recently started cooking for us and we all love it! He has been dating Tricia for a few months. They make a great couple and we all love having Tricia around as she is a pretty, kind, fun loving girl. Both boys are running the Falmouth Road Race for Cystic Fibrosis this year in honor of their sister. And lastly Lauren who you all know from her blog. Lauren inspires me and laughs with me everyday. She is majoring in Healthcare Administration at Stonehill College. She is dating Kyle, a Stonehill student. Kyle is a gentleman, who treats Lauren like a little princess. We appreciate Kyle being there for Lauren and watching out for her. He is from Maine and has a wonderful family who Lauren just adores. She travels to Maine sometimes when not at Stonehill to spend time with Kyle and his family.

We have a large extended family and group of friends that we are all very close to. They are so considerate of all of us as we support Lauren with any battles she encounters due to her CF. We love each and every one of them and feel so fortunate to have them. We appreciate all of the kindnesses that have been extended to our family though the years.

Lately I have been thinking a lot about Lauren and what a true inspiration she is to me. When she went off to college last September I did not know what I would do without her in my life everyday. I had been with her and caring for her everyday since she was born and loved every minute of it. I actually surprised myself ( and a lot of others)and handled it better than expected. Sure I missed her like crazy and the house seemed so empty and quiet without her, but I knew she was happy and fulfilling her dream of going to college and entering the next chapter of her life. But it also meant her childhood was over and my job as a Mom was somewhat done. But to all the mothers out there I ask you “Is our job ever done?” I truly have loved being a mother.

As Lauren has grown and matured into the beautiful young lady she has become I have learned to admire and appreciate her even more. It is so nice to have “adult” conversations with her about things happening in the world, our town and even within our family. Her insight and opinion has impacted me and brought me back to reality so many times in her young life.

It is so rewarding as a parent to see and hear from people how much they love and respect your children. That means more to me as a mom than job status, financial gain or even living in a mansion. People are constantly commenting about Lauren through her blog, working with her, or just knowing or meeting her.

Relatives and friends follow her blog and find it interesting and inspirational. One of my nieces posts Lauren’s blog stories on the fridge for her own kids, another encourages her friends to read it. Other friends have told me they go to the blog if they are having a bad day as it makes them just feel better. I have some “negative people” in my life. I go to the blog and talk to Lauren to keep them from pulling me down. Lauren’s words echo in my head when people speak or act meanly and I can just smile and walk away. Negative people are always going to be out there but learning how to deal with them is an art my daughter has taught me.

Lastly I have been thinking about how, as a parent, it is a nice feeling to sit back, put your feet up and say “Wow, we did it, we done good”. Sure we have had our little “bumps in the road”, but we have been able to pull together as a family and get back on track. As parents my husband and I are so proud of our 3 children. They have all chosen great life paths. Dan, Dave and Lauren are all successful in what they are doing and are living happy, productive lives. They all make good choices and help to make the world a better place to live in. I look forward to the next chapter in all of our lives as they move forward into careers, marriages, and hopefully lots of beautiful grandbabies to bounce on my knee!!

In summary, it is so rewarding as a mother to come full circle with your children. To give birth to a child, guide, nurture them through childhood, navigate them through adolescence, and celebrate all their accomplishments along the way is so fulfilling.To watch them excel, begin their chosen careers, find love, and start their own families is one of the most rewarding, wonderful experiences life has to offer.