A Novel Idea...

One of the things I've always wanted to do before I die someday is to write a novel. It's been developing in my head since probably 6th grade, but I never thought I was experienced enough in the whole "discovering yourself" thing to actually get started. I've gotten a numerous amount of suggestions to write a book, and it always seemed like something that I would do some day but not any time soon. I've written a couple short stories for creative writing, and countless poems and little essays describing important things in my life, among them: love, family, and life changing experiences (usually relating to CF), most of which I have never shown to anyone. Then there are all of the little stories I have in my head that I haven't even put on paper yet. I never got started because everything is so mixed up and unorganized that I felt I couldn't possibly put it all together to be something as beautiful as I would expect it to be. It's a little like the clothes all over the floor of my room that don't have a place to go and that have been there since I moved out of school...!! It doesn't help that I have zero organizational skills to begin with, either. Even when I try to put my school work in a binder, I end up just shoving all the papers in the little side pockets by the end of the semester. =p

So, today on the way home from work, I started seriously thinking about actually getting a novel together, instead of cowering at the impossibility of organization. I have learned so much about myself this year and I have a solid plan of what I want the theme of my novel to be. After playing with different plots and jotting down every little life experience I wanted to fit in my novel, I finally realized that trying to fit my entire life into one book would be impossible. It would be too complex for an amateur and frankly... it would be quite boring. So I came up with a rough summary of a mainly fictional story with a few real life experiences that will get my main point across without looking like one of my exploding binders or like the floor of my room. Of course the novel will include CF (since thats what I write about most), but that's all I'm saying for now. The reason I'm blogging about this is so I have something to keep me in check, if I promise my readers (and myself) a novel, I better be working on it!! Maybe this will take me months, maybe a year, maybe several years. But my goal is to publish a novel (while realizing how complicated publication can be) and (hopefully) touch someone's life with it. Life isn't exciting if you don't set goals for yourself, so here's my long term goal!

Labels: