As I sit on my couch doing my vest and nebs with Mom and Dad, I know I'll kind of miss this when I go back to school tomorrow. Even though I don't show it, and even though I'm excited to go back to school, there's always a little piece that misses the comfort of home: Dad's fresh vegetables from the garden, Meka snuggling up to me when I wake up in the morning, Mom singing and dancing around the house, my brother just hanging around the house with me, and all the visitors who walk through our front door.
College becomes a new sort of home, but only a second home at that. College is a home of friends and others your age. The dining hall is the new dining room, the classroom is the new workplace, the dorm room is the new house. Although I feel very much at home at my college, nothing compares to the comfort of the house you grew up in. I can fill the walls with pictures from home, and take my memories along, but each time I move back to school I must adjust to a new home, a different kind of comfort.
The last time I was leaving school, I was sick, stressed, and tired. I was craving my home, my mom's arms, my dog's wet kiss, my dad's home cooking. I was spoiled this summer with lots of time at home, relaxing after work, and enjoying the company of my family. We even had a great mini vacation on the Cape for the Falmouth Road Race!
But college comes and for 8 months you leave that home. Last year I couldn't wait to leave and go out on my own, have my own responsibilities, prove that I can have complete control of my CF care independently. And this year I can't wait either, because I know I can handle it. But I appreciate my home more now. I know that my house and my family will always be my home, no matter where I'm living. I know they will always have a place in my heart wherever I may be.
It's because of my parents that I have been able to adjust so quickly to a new home. They have taught me independence and responsibility. Thankfully, Mom has gradually lead me into being a responsible CFer, knowing all of my medications, holding me responsible for getting them done, getting to the doctors with or without her, and just recently teaching me how to order refills of my own prescriptions. They have put a good head on my shoulders, letting me learn my own lessons of responsibility and independence. Although I don't have them there with me, those lessons are their's and in that way, they will always be with me when I'm away from home.
I am looking forward to a great year at a second home, but I know nothing can ever compare to your first home, your only family, and the love they give you every day.