Living the 5 Principles of Reiki

A few weeks ago, we had a yoga instructor who had just become certified in Reiki. At the end of our practice, she read us the Five Principles of Reiki. Though they are meant to be used when practicing Reiki, they are something that should be kept in mind each and every day. My roommate and I have them posted on our wall, and it helps to review them every day. What I like about the principles, is that they all start with "Just for Today." It doesn't become a major lifelong commitment, you are able to take the principles day by day and just live in the moment. I have to remind myself of the principles every day, because I know that I am not a perfect person and I can improve each and every day.




1. Just for Today, I will let go of anger.

True anger is something that doesn't come easily to me. Most of the time, I internally experience the frustration of the way others live their lives. And sometimes, I confuse that frustration with anger. If someone doesn't live in a way way I think is morally right, I may get angry. I may go off on a rant. But in the end, what does that do? It doesn't change people. It doesn't suddenly give them the answers to life so that they can live in a way that I agree with. So you let go of that anger. It is negative. It is a waste. Breathe through it, forget it.

2. Just for Today, I will not worry.

Have you ever stayed up all night worrying about something that is going to happen tomorrow, woken up, dealt with that something, and felt as if it was a breeze and was nothing to worry about? Sometimes we let our worries get the best of us, and the more time we spend thinking about those things that worry us most, the bigger those worries get. Worrying is just an emotion, a waste of positive energy. Instead of spending your time thinking about something that is out of your control at the current moment, let go of it, and do something useful with that time.

3. Just for Today, I will be grateful, I will count my many blessings.

Gratefulness is something we tend to forget about until Thanksgiving. Instead, we think about our problems and our imperfections too often. It is sometimes difficult to stop for a moment and be thankful for the things you have rather than focusing on those things we want. After all, many of our blessings become so commonplace to us that we often take them for granted. When you feel stressed, or upset, or angry, take a moment to count your blessings, to count those things you do have.

4. Just for Today, I will love and respect all life forms.

Respect is about taking the time to learn all you can about a person before you take the time to judge them. It is about listening to their opinions, even when you don't agree. It is about loving those people whom you think you hate. Love is about looking past imperfections, forgiving, and about being there for those who need you. Of course, we all know deep down how much we love our friends and family. But I think what we forget, is that we need to love everyone, and show them the respect they deserve as humans. This piece isn't just about humans though, notice it says "life forms." We gotta remember that we share the earth with tons and tons of other living things. Vegetarians take the time to love and respect those life forms that we eat by sacrificing those things in their meals. And even if you aren't a vegetarian, know that even though we may eat some of those things, we must be thankful for the food that we eat, and be grateful for the "circle of life," to use a corny Lion King reference.

5. Just for today, I will live my life honestly.

Honesty is a big one. Sure, we may lie here and there, for those little things that don't matter. But this is about being someone whom others can trust. This is about those lies told to the faces of the ones who will believe it. This is about doing your work honestly, about making an honest living, about taking responsibility for the "truths" you tell. It is easy to lose another's trust by telling lies, especially when that person may know the truth. Though you may think, as long as no one knows, that you can live your life without being honest, in the end, the guilt of being a dishonest person will fester inside of you, and hamper the way in which you live your life.

Being mindful of each of the five principles helps you to live a more emotionally healthy life. Its great to be able to breathe and remember to let go of those negative emotions that might put a damper on your day!