Determination

I know most of you are probably sick of my blogging about my most recent PFTs and how much exercise is helping me BLAH BLAH BLAH.... but I seriously feel that I must stress over and over how important exercise is, whether it means inspiring someone to get active or to simply give you warm fuzzies of a success story.... so here's another blog.

Today was my 3 month check-up with my pulmonologist and man was it a good one! I went in and had PFTs with my favorite PFT tech who is a great cheerleader while I'm breathing and blowing and squeezing and turning red-faced. When I was finally finished, she quietly said "okay I think that should be good" to which I asked "What were my numbers?" She squinted at the screen and said "Your fev1 is 96%" I coolly maintained my excitement (though I wanted to wrap my arms around her and scream at how incredible it is that my FEV1 got that high) and remarked "Wow.... thats my highest in a long time." (I have been stuck in the 80's for a while now, only just last time breaking the 90% mark)

When my doctor came in, he asked what my PFTs were and when I told him with a smile he said "WOW What's your secret?" I laughed and said "Running!" He knew that one was coming and we went on to talk about how much I have been running and what races I have coming up (he thought I was crazy for doing the Color me Rad run where they shoot paint at you while you run!). He then went on to say that exercise truly is working for me and later said "Running is what is kicking cepacia's butt." You heard it here!

I cannot even begin to comprehend what a turn-around my health has had these past few years thanks to the amount of exercise I have been doing. I was struggling to get my PFTs out of the 80's for years. I figured that I'd only go down from there. I thought I'd never see a number in the 90's again... much less the high 90's that close to 100%. This is another blog about the importance of determination and the meaninglessness of the word "impossible."

I finally feel like I have some sort of control of this life that has always seemed to be so greatly affected by cystic fibrosis. I have had my fair share of battles with cf.... Growing up my hospitalizations only increased, I spent time in the intensive care unit, I've had countless surgeries, a collapsed lung, and a bleeding lung that wouldn't quit. And just when I thought I would never be able to fight cf... I began to run. It's funny because we usually associated running with running AWAY from our problems.... but in this case, running got me closer and closer to a means to control my problem. Running, for me.... is a miracle. Having cystic fibrosis and having one of the worst bacterium that a CFer could have SHOULD mean that I'm one sick puppy. But I have always refused to accept that to be my reality... not if my determination has anything to do with it. I am determined to do whatever it is that will help me in my fight against CF... and even if it means doing something I originally HATED.... I'm going to do it. Not running isn't an option for me. And I have the numbers to prove it.

I feel so blessed to have this gift of strong legs and a strong spirit. Some might say that being optimistic is a bad thing... but I can look those people in the eye and say that telling yourself everything is going to be okay is one thing.... but going the distance to make sure your life turns out the way you want it to is another. With each mile I run, I go the distance. All those miles, those early mornings, those late afternoons, those days when I would have just rather taken a nap than get out and run.... every single one of those days is worth it. All that salty sweat, those blisters, those breathless walks back to my house after a long run... all of that is worth it. Because today, I can say that I'm healthy. Because today, I can breathe.

Now I don't know what the future will bring, cf might have something in store for me that even running can't combat. But for now, I am counting my blessings. For now I am thankful for the miracle drug of Running. For now, I am enjoying my good health and I'm not stopping. In September, I will be running a half marathon. And all those days leading up to it will be spent strengthening my lungs even more and proving to myself that cystic fibrosis is just one part of me.... a larger part of me consists of willpower, positive thinking, and the desire to breathe easier every day.